Re: Importing data

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Importing data
Date: 2005-10-21 21:58:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Wes Williams <wes_williams(at)fcbonline(dot)net> wrote:

> I've been using MySQL for about the past year and am
> trying to convert to
> PostgreSQL now but don't know the simplest way to
> import my table data into
> Postgre. There are many free tools (phpmyadmin,
> Sqlyog, MySQL Query
> Browser, etc.) for MySQL that let you import Excel,
> CSV, Text, XML, and many
> more into the database but I can't find anything
> other than the EMS Data
> Import for Postgre. Are there any free tools for
> Postgre that I can use for
> uploading data into the database?
>
> Is I am very new to Postgre, I would also appreciate
> correction if I am
> overlooking something simple or just going about
> populating my database the
> wrong way.
>
> Thanks!

Wes, there is definitely a way to do it. i think it
is through the command line, though. i had some data
in an openoffice.org's calc and i imported it into a
table via cygwin (which means the commandline was
involved). i'm trying to research my old posts that
addessed this.

update:

the save you data to a csv format and then use the
copy command (copy from, specifically), to get the job
done.

i had a problem with the encoding being wrong out of
the default csv export in OOo, however, when i
exported to ASCII/US, the copy from command worked
great.

good luck.

http://mail.yahoo.com