Re: Compression of text columns

From: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of text columns
Date: 2005-10-10 17:48:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jim C. Nasby mentioned :
=> Are you seeing much gain using ztext over using EXTENDED?

When storage is defined external, there is a visible gain,
but not really significant enough to make me want to use it.

And I had instances where not all the rows would uncompress again
afterwards. I want to try and get the bzip2 compression working, and
see if that does anything for me. But at this stage, I think it's as compressed
as I will be able to get it.

I'm not getting the best results, because a lot of the data rows don't contain
enough data to compress properly, and I think with ztext the column sizes sometimes
end up bigger than they were to start off with.

Kind Regards
Stefan