Re: Compression of text columns

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of text columns
Date: 2005-10-10 16:31:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:18:39PM +0200, Stef wrote:
> I have a table in the databases I work with,
> that contains two text columns with XML data
> stored inside them.
>
> This table is by far the biggest table in the databases,
> and the text columns use up the most space.
> I saw that the default storage type for text columns is
> "EXTENDED" which, according to the documentation, uses up extra
> space to make possible substring functioning faster.

You're thinking of EXTERNAL. From http://lnk.nu/postgresql.org/4ff.html:

EXTERNAL is for external, uncompressed data, and EXTENDED is for
external, compressed data. EXTENDED is the default for most data types
that support non-PLAIN storage. Use of EXTERNAL will make substring
operations on text and bytea columns faster, at the penalty of increased
storage space.

> Suppose that the data in those columns are only really ever
> _used_ once, but may be needed in future for viewing purposes mostly,
> and I cannot really change the underlying structure of the table,
> what can I possibly do to maximally reduce the amount of disk space
> used by the table on disk. (There are no indexes on these two columns.)
> I've thought about compression using something like :
> ztext http://www.mahalito.net/~harley/sw/postgres/
>
> but I have to change the table structure a lot and I've already
> encountered problems unzipping the data again.
> The other problem with this solution, is that database dumps almost double
> in size, because of double compression.

Are you seeing much gain using ztext over using EXTENDED?