Re: "expected authentication request from server, but received..."

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Micha? J?czalik <pgsql-hackers(at)jeczalik(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "expected authentication request from server, but received..."
Date: 2005-09-26 08:16:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:59:53AM +0200, Micha? J?czalik wrote:
> Connection with psql works OK. Connecting from different (older) hosts
> with DBI/PHP works perfect as well. Something must have changed in recent
> versions of libpq and now it doesn't work. I looked into source code and
> found that the server's message at the very start of conversation appears
> to be something else than the libpq expects. But how to fix it?! Has the
> protocol change or what?

Umm, I think the protocol version is up to 3 or 4 now. I think libpq
supports all the way back to 7.0, I don't know if anyone tests earlier
than that.

If you really need this to work, I suggest pulling the libpq from that
release (CVS or tarball) or slightly later and installing that on the
new machines.

But you should upgrade, 6.4 hasn't had support for year, who know how
many bugs...