Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-08-25 23:13:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce, on May 17, 2004, you wrote:

> So, yea, I am frustrated. I know these features are hard and complex,
> but I want them for PostgreSQL, and I want them as soon as possible. I
> guess what really bugs me is that we are so close to having these few
> remaining big features, and because they are so complex, they are taking
> a lot longer to arrive than previous features, and sometimes see a year
> pass without progress on some items, and that bugs me.

This discussion was taking place as we closed the 7.5 development cycle,
and we weren't getting PITR, tablespaces, nested transactions, 2PC, the
Win32 port, in the release. We have all those things now.

We have gone a long way now, even though it was only a year ago. My
question for everyone on this list is: What are the "few remaining big
features" that you see missing for PostgreSQL?

Or, slightly different, what are people's most wanted features?

Has PostgreSQL started slowing down in getting new features, and
concentrating mostly on performance issues?

A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.
(Carrie Snow)