restart postgres 7.3.2 problem

From: Saranya Sivakumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: restart postgres 7.3.2 problem
Date: 2005-08-15 14:10:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

We have Postgres 7.3.2 installed for one of our internal softwares. The system configuration is:
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla), 1 G RAM. The postmaster was running fine till last week and it suddenly stopped runnning. While trying to restart postgres using the command:

service postgresql start

We got the following message:

An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's documentation directory)/postgresql-7.3.2/README.rpm-dist for more information.

Does this mean that we have to upgrade Postgres to a newer version? While we are on a project of upgrading the version, we need to get it up and running in the interim. What could have caused this problem suddenly?

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Saranya