DROP OWNED BY

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DROP OWNED BY
Date: 2005-08-12 21:39:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm working on the promised DROP OWNED patch, and just noticed that it
needs modifications to the Grant/Revoke machinery that are too invasive
to consider for 8.1; the problem is that ExecuteGrantStmt takes textual
names for objects and grantees, and what I have from pg_shdepend are
Oids. Dropping the objects themselves is easy -- the problem is
dropping grants to other objects.

So, instead of doing that, I think it's better to convert the Oids to
names in the shared-dependency code. This should be rewritten after the
next development period starts, for efficiency and cleanliness.

Is anyone opposed to this idea? Further, is anyone opposed to the
addition as a whole? I'm already a month and a half late with this
part of the shdep patch, so if people think it's better to ship this
release without it, so be it. (Of course I don't like that.)

"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)