Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON

From: elein(at)varlena(dot)com (elein)
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date: 2005-08-09 16:16:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:34:20AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:52:29AM -0400, Rick Morris wrote:
>
> > got going for it). Thus secondly, there is the depressing observation
> > that the majority of developers haven't a clue what the relational model
> > is really good for. They want to wring every possible bit of speed out
> > of a database while piling all sorts of constraints into application
> > space. That's pretty much the norm for most open source applications I
> > have seen.
>
> At the risk of sending your depression into total free-fall, I'll
> note that many proprietary applications, including those developed
> for Oracle, suffer this problem as well. Programmers who understand
> a database-backed system are much less common than they should be.
> And you're _really_ hosed if the person doing the hiring doesn't
> understand relational systems: you end up with a whole raft of
> programmers, none of whom has had a Date with the clue stick. (Sorry
> about that, folks. It was irresistable.) To the extent that's true,
> however, those programmers also have practically no incentive to move
> from MySQL, save for licensing. And, as one of the PHP folks said to
> me for the second year in a row, "Why would I move? MySQL does what
> I need, and when I need to go bigger, I use Oracle." Apparently,
> "But Postgres is the one that's free," isn't an answer. Go know.

Lack of understanding of relational modelling is a big problem.
People design there databases w/application centric enforcements
which play well on mysql but violates Date's central rule about
relational databases: the integrity of the data is defined in the
database and cannot be circumvented by applications.

Learn, Educate. Learn More. Educate More.

--elein