Re: Troubles with PL/Perl in PgSQL

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Vladimir D Belousov <pg-maillist(at)klarnet(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Troubles with PL/Perl in PgSQL
Date: 2005-07-28 01:55:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Vladimir D Belousov <pg-maillist(at)klarnet(dot)ru>
wrote:

> Jeff Eckermann wrote:
>
> >"Vladimir D Belousov" <pg-maillist(at)klarnet(dot)ru>
> wrote in message
> >

> >>Hallo!
> >>
> >>I'm new in PgSQL and I try to migrate from
> InterBase (Firebird) to PgSQL.
> >>
> >>I have a trouble with call ANY plperl function.
> >>I have the very simple function:
> >>---------------------
> >>
> >>CREATE FUNCTION myint(integer) RETURNS integer AS
> $$
> >> my $result = $_[0];
> >> return $result;
> >>$$ LANGUAGE plperl;
> >>---------------------
> >>
> >>And when I try to call this function, I got the
> error:
> >>---------------------
> >>$ psql test
> >>Welcome to psql 8.0.3, the PostgreSQL interactive
> terminal.
> >>
> >>Type: \copyright for distribution terms
> >> \h for help with SQL commands
> >> \? for help with psql commands
> >> \g or terminate with semicolon to execute
> query
> >> \q to quit
> >>
> >>test=# select * from myint(5);
> >>

> >This syntax is appropriate for set-returning
> functions. For functions
> >returning a single value, use "select myint(5);"
> >

> I see, thank you!
> But when I try
> select myint(5) from test;

PostgreSQL does not require a from clause; as long as
the select list can be evaluated in some way, you will
get values returned. The syntax that you have used
will (should) cause the return value to be output once
for every record in the table.

> (table test exists but has no records), I got the
> same error.
>
> And here that I have noticed: on a home computer
> this truoble is not
> present.
> However on the server and my home PC - the kernel
> and the system
> environment are
> almost absolutely identical - FreeBSD 5.4 (cvsup on
> Tue Jul 26 21:24:24
> MSD 2005).
> (except SMP support in the kernel and two options
> sysctl - for
> hypertrading on the server).
> SysV IPC options are identical too.
>
> Possibly, I've gape any bug report about a problem
> using SMP kernel?

AFAIK there should be no problem with using SMP. But
someone else will have to suggest answers for this
problem.