Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
To: Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity
Date: 2005-07-27 01:33:38
Lists: pgsql-docs

# halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br / 2005-07-26 22:17:12 -0300:
> --- Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz> escreveu:
> > But maybe I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.
> > To make things a bit clearer: what is it that you find so disturbing
> > or surprising in the current PostgreSQL behavior? Why did you expect
> > it reusing the same process, and what benefits do you expect (or
> > preferably, have experimentally gained) from the alternative?
>
> The surprise is:
>
> Oracle - MTS - Multi-Threaded-Server - MTS allows many user processes
> to share very few server processes. Without MTS, each user process
> requires its own dedicated server process; a new server process is
> created for each client requesting a connection. A dedicated server
> process remains associated to the user process for the remainder of
> the connection. With MTS many user processes connect to a dispatcher
> process. The dispatcher routes client requests to the next available
> shared server process. The advantage of MTS is that system overhead is
> reduced, so the number of users that can be supported is increased.

I came to PostgreSQL from MySQL, which is multithreaded, and found
PostgreSQL absolutely UNsurprising in this aspect. There's quite
a few populare programs that behave similarly.

> Contrasting with this in PostgreSQL a new process is forked just to
> connect to another database. The PostgreSQL behavior seems similar to
> old Oracle versions.

So what? Is this a troll?

You don't know, man. You don't KNOW.
Cause you weren't THERE. http://bash.org/?255991