Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity

From: Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity
Date: 2005-07-27 01:17:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

The surprise is:

Oracle - MTS - Multi-Threaded-Server - MTS allows many user processes to share very few server
processes. Without MTS, each user process requires its own dedicated server process; a new server
process is created for each client requesting a connection. A dedicated server process remains
associated to the user process for the remainder of the connection. With MTS many user processes
connect to a dispatcher process. The dispatcher routes client requests to the next available
shared server process. The advantage of MTS is that system overhead is reduced, so the number of
users that can be supported is increased.

Contrasting with this in PostgreSQL a new process is forked just to connect to another database.
The PostgreSQL behavior seems similar to old Oracle versions.

Regards,
Halley