Re: Parse a statement, get parameter types and return types

From: Richard Jones <rich(at)annexia(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parse a statement, get parameter types and return types
Date: 2005-07-18 17:01:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:58:44AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> This is possible at the protocol level -- see Describe Statement.
> I'm not sure which client libraries let you get at the results ...
> libpq isn't one of them :-(

Thanks for answering my question so promptly!

I've made a small patch against 8.0.3 which adds this functionality to
libpq-fe. However I am not very certain of how the asynchronous stuff
works in this library, so it will need careful checking.
Nevertheless, it Works For Me in the limited testing I have done
against a 7.4 server.

http://annexia.org/tmp/PQsendDescribeStatement.diff

Note the user is expected to free(3) the Oids (types) array returned
by PQgetDescription.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.