DBD::PgSPI killing server connection

From: Scott Cain <cain(at)cshl(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DBD::PgSPI killing server connection
Date: 2005-07-18 17:06:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I am trying to write a plperlu function that uses DBD::PgSPI with Pg
version 7.4.8 (obtained via RPM from the Fedora Core 3 project). When I
install plperlu via 'createlang plperlu dbname' and then create this
function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION perl_test() RETURNS void AS '
use DBI;

my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:PgSPI:internal", "", "");
my $sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from cvterm where name = ''gene''");
$sth->execute;
while (my @array = $sth->fetchrow_array) {
print "@array\n";
}
' LANGUAGE plperlu;

I then get this output when trying 'select perl_test();'

yeast=# select perl_test();
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

I'm guessing there is something fundamental about DBD::PgSPI that I am
not getting; any idea what that is?

Thanks much,
Scott

Scott Cain, Ph. D. cain(at)cshl(dot)edu