how to use pg_dump and then restored onto development server

From: ketan shah <ketan_dba(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to use pg_dump and then restored onto development server
Date: 2005-06-29 14:48:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

All ,

I am newbie to postgres database. How to take pg_dump from production database and restore into development server using pg_restore..

From documentation, I find that I have to use pg_dump for backup and pg_restore for restoration.

My database name is otsdb..

For backup…I use command

Pg_dump otsdb > /home/Ketan/otsdbbkp.out

But after successfully dump…I can’t see the otsdbbkp.out file in /home/Ketan/

If I get otsdbbkp.out file then I copy this file on my development server and then I issue the following command …

Psql –d otsdb –f otsdbbkp.out

(my development server database name is otsdb)

pl. help me….

If any thing wrong pl. guide me..

Ketan shah