Re: Resource Requirements

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resource Requirements
Date: 2005-06-13 22:06:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Elein,

> I've got a list of old resource requirements.
> I want to know how far off they are and if anything
> crucial is missing. My usual recommendation is
> "as much as you can afford" so I don't usually deal
> with real numbers :)

These look very approximate.

> RAM:
> Number of connections * 2MB

That's not a bad recommendation, but not an actual requirement. It really
depends on how much sort_mem you need. Could vary from 0.5mb to as much
as 256mb per connection, depending on your application.

> Disk:
> Program and Manual 8-15MB
> Regression Tests 30MB
> Compiled Source 60-160MB

Well, my compiled source takes up 87mb, and the installed PostgreSQL seems
to be about 41mb including WAL. Not sure how much the regression tests
are.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus