Re: WAL bypass for CTAS

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alon Goldshuv <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WAL bypass for CTAS
Date: 2005-06-04 19:45:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:
> I enclose a complete patch for avoiding WAL usage for CREATE TABLE AS
> SELECT, when not in archive mode (PITR). The main use case for this is
> large BI environments that create summary tables or prejoined tables,
> though there are many general applications.
>
> There is no user interface for this. The speed gain is automatic, when
> archiving is not enabled.

Could we do your NOLOGGING automatically in COPY if we test to see if
anyone else is connected to our current database? I would _love_ to see
pg_dump loads use this automatically, without having to add clauses to
pg_dump output.

I think we decided we can't do it automatically for all zero-row COPYs
because of locking concerns.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us