Re: pg_dump in a production environment

From: Chris Kratz <chris(dot)kratz(at)vistashare(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump in a production environment
Date: 2005-05-24 13:41:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 23 May 2005 06:09 pm, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 16:54, Chris Kratz wrote:
> Are you folks running 8.0 with its improved caching algorithms? Just
> wondering if that helps or not.

I should have noted that we are still using 7.4 on our production servers. We
are planning an upgrade to 8.x later this year, so it is very plausible that
the new caching algorithms would help immensely. We are planning on moving
to a backup off of a slony slave at that point as well, so the issue will
probably be moot for us though it would still be nice to be able to do a
backup off of a running production machine.

> Actually, there's a special dump program somewhere in the slony source
> tree, one of the perl scripts. That should fix the issues with the
> backups. I ran into it a while back and have to start using the same
> file.

Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks for the pointer. We will look into
it.

-Chris
--
Chris Kratz