Re: Need input on postgres used for phpBB

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Jerome Macaranas <jerome(at)gmanmi(dot)tv>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need input on postgres used for phpBB
Date: 2005-05-24 13:38:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 07:19, Jerome Macaranas wrote:
> hi,
>
> I enabled logging for a while just to see what statement is taking too much
> time.. listed below are some parts of the log.. im wondering why this sql
> takes to much time.. they have indexes in place.. or it might be my config?

SNIP

> LOG: query: SELECT * FROM phpbb_smilies
> LOG: duration: 0.005410 sec
> LOG: duration: 390.731807 sec
> -- this table has only 295 rows

That you can see. I still think there's got to be a bunch of dead
tuples for it to be this slow, or there's something very wrong with your
I/O subsystem.

> LOG: query: SELECT *
> FROM phpbb_config
> LOG: duration: 50.752599 sec

Indexes won't help here, as they're asking for the shole table in each
time. What does 'explain analyze select * From phpbb_config' from the
psql command prompt say? What does vacuum verbose phpbb_config say?
Are you getting any weird messages in the system logs when this is
happening, like maybe disk timeouts?

How long does it take to copy a hundred or so megabytes on this same
drive.