Missing commands

From: Al-Amin Ali <a_alamin2000(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Missing commands
Date: 2005-04-18 19:02:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

I am new to Postgres I have installed it so that I can
use agent academy software. anyway when I try to run
agent academy it gives us some errors or complains one
of these complains is

Password in file is not proper scrambled

now the only place where we use a password is in
Postgres for the user.

agent academy and postgres reside on the same machine.
which is Mandrake 9.2. I use Postgres 7.3.4 which
comes prepackaged in Mandrake installation Cds. After
installation I used the following steps to create a
user and database:

1. [vsbabu(at)toshiba vsbabu]$ su – root
2. password:
3. [root(at)toshiba root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
restart
4. [ OK ]
5. Starting postgresql service: [ OK ]
6. [root(at)toshiba root]# su - postgres
7. -bash-2.05b$ createuser vsbabu
8. Shall the new user be allowed to create databases?
(y/n)y
9. Shall the new user be allowed to create more new
users? (y/n)y
10. CREATE USER
11. -bash-2.05b$ createdb vsbabu
12. CREATE DATABASE
13. -bash-2.05b$ exit
14. [root(at)toshiba root]# exit

Now up to this point every thing was working fine.
But it seems that there is some commands that are not
there. every time I try to use:

pg_passwd or alter user

I get the following message:

command not found

I tried to use these commands at command prompt as a
"root" and as "su - postgres" in both cases command
not found.

I searched Mandrake prepackaged software for any
missed libraries there is none.

I do not know if Postgres comes in a limited version
you know with mandrake installation Cds.

Any idea help please
thank you