Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-08 14:26:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:53:06AM -0500, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2005, at 4:57 PM, David wrote:
>
> >For example, the php-based front-ends require apache. It
> >just seems that in my case, at least, it's asking a lot to install
> >apache on a machine that will never do any web-serving elsewhere in

> It is definitely true that the web-based front ends need apache or some
> other web server, but I want to point out that you don't need a web
> server to make use of php. You can create and run php scripts just like
> any other shell script. Using the \! command, you could have psql call
> your script and I'm sure there is a way to run psql from php. Here is a
> reference if you are interested:

That's good to know. At this point I'm trying to settle on the route I
wish to take, and the options seem almost limitless.

One restriction (sort of) that I'm trying to follow is that my system is
Debian and I'm _trying_ to stay within the Debian packaging scheme as
much as possible, although it's not a strict requirement.

> http://us3.php.net/features.commandline.php

I have this page up at the moment and will study it. Thanks for the link.