Re: Development schedule

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development schedule
Date: 2005-02-25 22:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If this were an ordinary devel cycle then I'd be fine with it running a
> >> year, but I think we really do need to plan for a shorter than normal
> >> cycle so we can clean up 8.0 kinks in a reasonably timely fashion.
>
> > Let's see how much 8.0 cleanup we need. At this point I haven't seen
> > any major things needing cleanup.
>
> However, people are asking us for a schedule target now; "wait and see"
> isn't the answer they need. My feeling is that we should bet on there
> being some issues, rather than bet on there not being any.

Uh, they want to know now? My feeling is that if there were major
issues, we would have heard about them already --- it has been over a
month since 8.0. It has been a long time since we have had to push out
a major to fix a hard problem in the previous major.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us