Re: [pgsql-hackers] Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2
Date: 2005-01-24 06:21:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:53:11PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > Perhaps a good way to accomplish both goals is to have the set of
> > human-readable views, and to add columns to the system tables/views that
> > conform with the new, more logical naming convention. This way people
> > accessing system information programmatically can use pg_catalog (and
> > migrate to the new naming convention), while people who are doing ad-hoc
> > queries can just hit the human-readable stuff.
>
> If you think that anyone on this list is going to let us re-name columns in
> the system *tables*, you're on more pain meds than I realized ...

What I figured.

> And in what way is using fully qualified names programmatically a problem?

It's not a problem; my only complaint is that the field names are
awkward as hell, which is why I suggested a new naming convention. If
it comes down to it, I'll settle for better names in the human readable
stuff and hope it eventually can be migrated to pg_catalog stuff. I just
figured changing both at the same time might make more sense.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org