Win32 config file extension, capitalization

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Win32 config file extension, capitalization
Date: 2005-01-13 15:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Kevin Brown wrote:

> > > Where are we on this? I think Andrew and I both think *.txt is
> > > confusing. We need to decide on Monday if we should change the current
> > > *.txt names. We can either leave it unchanged, remove *.txt, or change
> > > it to *.config.

> > Another idea is to use *.conf.
>
> For what it's worth, I always thought that text configuration files on
> Windows platforms generally used the '.ini' extension. I believe on
> most Windows systems that extension is by default associated with
> Notepad.

The problem with *.ini is that it suggests we follow the INI file format
for those files, which we don't.

Given the recent votes I have made the following patch which changes the
*.txt extensions to *.conf. It is consistent with our other config
files on the server side. This change is for Win32 only. I will apply
for 8.0 soon.

One additional issue is that we currently specify the client directory
as %APPDATA%\postgresql\, but in my "Application Data" directory most of
my directories are upper/lower case, suggesting that we should use
%APPDATA%\PostgreSQL\. Win32 is case-insensitve but case-preserving so
they directory could be created with any case but it seems we should
suggest directory capitalization more consistent with Win32.

Comments?

We are at the point where we are really just polishing Win32 and these
issues are all cosmetic.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size