problem with the select query

From: sid tow <siddy_tow(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem with the select query
Date: 2005-01-13 11:23:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi people,

this is my first mail to the group. i am having a problem with the select query.
There are a few values in few columns of a table with some special characters like ~E and ~A and what all, and when i query the database with the select query then the ~E is getting converted into a new line character and i dont know how to solve this problem

Here are a few more examples of the values i see in the tables

h+^U^G:i::::\N
~A^[B:^TM
.\t\r~IRB:8(LmB.~E

My question here is that can i use the select query to extract the data with all these special characters as it is, I mean the ~E here will make the extracted dump to get to the next line which i dont want it to do and the \r is a carriage return. I want these special characters to remain as it is.