Re: update table with row locking

From: Mark <sendmailtomark(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: update table with row locking
Date: 2004-12-29 15:02:51
Lists: pgsql-general

In general I need to lock whole table so only one session can
perform update. I'm looking for solution that will work in both C++
and Java.

Will 'SELECT FOR UPDATE' lock whole table?

As per 'LOCK' will lock released if connection get closed abnormally?
( example: hard crash on the client side, network interruptions,
etc.) Can LOCK be used in JDBC or it's SQL92 standard?

Thanks a lot.
Mark