Re: Database Recovery

From: Harry <postituk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Recovery
Date: 2004-12-20 01:29:51
Lists: pgsql-docs

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Harry <postituk(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > Is there any material online on how to recover a corrupt postgresql
> > database?
>
> There are dozens if not hundreds of case histories in the mailing
> list archives; the latest example is this thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-12/msg00479.php
> Feel free to try to pull something together from that info.

It was all the threads and a lot of googling that enabled me to get the
data back.

> However, the rule of thumb is "every problem is different". If we
> could think of a cookbook procedure then we'd build an automated
> recovery tool ... so you need to think more in terms of teaching than

> of giving recipes.

I agree, I am not a believer in recipes either. However, for most
people they have no idea where to start or what to do next. The first
place I went looking was postgres.org and I got more info peppered
through the mailing lists than in the docs (not a bad thing).

I spent all day yesterday reading about what other people had done and
trying to figure out what I could use to determine what/where my
problem was and how to go about *starting* to fix it. I found little on
the use of or how to use pg_filedump or pg_resetxlog, luckily for me
the latter has a man page. I also used a post from yourself to
determine that I had to use the "-l" option to pg_resetxlog to fix my
problem.

In hindsight I would have done some things differently, like posting to
one of the lists. If you think that it would be better for people to
ask the list and run from there then I will leave it.

Harry

=====
Harry
Join team plico.