Re: merging advocacy and "overview"

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: merging advocacy and "overview"
Date: 2004-12-02 15:25:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thursday 02 December 2004 01:37, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > I am current leaning toward making a new menu item called "advocacy"
> > and renaming the overview/about section to "community". With that here
> > is how I see the content breaking down into those two sections:
>
> I think this is overall a very good idea. However, I think it should be
> called "about" and not "advocacy". "about" is a web industry convention,
> and new people know to automatically go to "about" for stuff like press
> links, supporters, contact info, etc.

the only reason to go with advocacy is due to it's replacing
advocacy.postgresql.org; ie. it's a community standard vs. industry
standard.

> Some comments below.
>
> > members{a}
>
> Doesn't this duplicate the developer site portion?

This is the top half of http://advocacy.postgresql.org/about/
as opposed to http://developer.postgresql.org/bios.php

long term those two might need to be merged, but for now I think we can leave
them seperate.

> > corporate{a}
>
> We'll need to come up with some rules on who can appear here. My thoughts:
> 1) Anyone who sponsors a full-time or 1/2 time developer;
> 2) Anyone who has sponsored a significant feature in the last 3 versions.
> 3) Anyone who contributed/runs an add-in project in recent use.

yeah. one thing to keep in mind is how this will play alongside the foundation
info.

> > advantages{a}
> > case studies{a}
> > requestinfo{a}
>
> Definitely keep this. I'll want to revise the form, but I currently get
> 5-10 e-mails a day. It's been very useful.
>
> > presskit{u}
>
> Which means I need to work on a general, non-version-specific presskit, eh?
> Give me some time after 8.0.

Well, maybe, but for now we can link to the version specific stuff, will need
to update it with each release anyway...

http://www.pgsql.com/user_gallery

> > store{ex}
> > donate{ex}
> > books{u}
> > related projects{u}
> > interfacing to postgresql{u}
> > [docs]
> > [support]
>
> Hmmm ... won't documentation be a top-level category?

Yes, but it seems critical enough to warrent a redundent link, along with
support.

--
Robert Treat