Re: merging advocacy and "overview"

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: merging advocacy and "overview"
Date: 2004-12-02 06:37:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Robert,

> I am current leaning toward making a new menu item called "advocacy"
> and renaming the overview/about section to "community". With that here is
> how I see the content breaking down into those two sections:

I think this is overall a very good idea. However, I think it should be
called "about" and not "advocacy". "about" is a web industry convention, and
new people know to automatically go to "about" for stuff like press links,
supporters, contact info, etc.

Some comments below.

> members{a}

Doesn't this duplicate the developer site portion?

> corporate{a}

We'll need to come up with some rules on who can appear here. My thoughts:
1) Anyone who sponsors a full-time or 1/2 time developer;
2) Anyone who has sponsored a significant feature in the last 3 versions.
3) Anyone who contributed/runs an add-in project in recent use.

> advantages{a}
> case studies{a}
> requestinfo{a}

Definitely keep this. I'll want to revise the form, but I currently get 5-10
e-mails a day. It's been very useful.

> presskit{u}

Which means I need to work on a general, non-version-specific presskit, eh?
Give me some time after 8.0.

> license{a}
>
> community/
> users{ex}

What is this?

> store{ex}
> donate{ex}
> books{u}
> related projects{u}
> interfacing to postgresql{u}
> [docs]
> [support]

Hmmm ... won't documentation be a top-level category?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions