Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1
Date: 2004-10-08 05:02:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin,

> I agree that => restricts people in a way we are not at the moment. AS
> is a better idea but I also like IS, which makes more sense to me. IS is
> currently on the func_name_keyword list -- I *think* we could use it.
> What do you think?

I'll give you an example why not:

CALL some_sp ( user IS 19, session IS NULL );

However, Tom, couldn't AS confuse the parser when used to call a named
function in a SELECT clause? Or would named calls be strictly reserved for
SPs and non-statement calls?

Example:

SELECT user, session,
crypt_function ( seed AS 345, content AS pwd_col ) AS munged_pwd
FROM users;

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions