Re: Postgres for Cygwin port in windows frustrated

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Dave Sampson <dr(dot)sampson(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres for Cygwin port in windows frustrated
Date: 2004-07-30 11:49:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dave,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:58:01AM -0400, Dave Sampson wrote:
> trying to setup Postgres in cygwin...
>
> good things:
> -have cygwin installed and working
> - have postgres dnloaded and installed.... stuck
>
> OS
> Intel based windows XP pro
>
> this is generaly the process I've been trying
> 1. start cygwin from desktop icon
> 2.cygserver-config
> 3.cygserver &
> 4. initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>
> this is where I get stuck with the following debug readout:
> ---------------------------------------
> Dave_2(at)snowjob /usr/local/pgsql
> $ Running in debug mode.
>
> initdb: internal variables:
> PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
> datadir=/usr/share/postgresql
> PGPATH=/usr/bin
> ENCODING=
> ENCODINGID=0
> POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=Dave_2
> POSTGRES_BKI=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.bki
> POSTGRES_DESCR=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.description
> POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
> PG_HBA_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.sample
> PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_ident.conf.sample
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "Dave_2".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
> selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 10
> selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 50
> creating configuration files... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... DEBUG:
> invoking
> IpcMemoryCreate(size=1081344)
> Signal 12
>

> [9]+ Stopped initdb -d -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Dave_2(at)snowjob /usr/local/pgsql
> $

Do you Google?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=cygwin+postgresql+signal+12

Did you read the README?

Regardless of the installation type, the first step is to add
"server" to your CYGWIN environment variable setting and start
cygserver.

> ------------
> some of the readmes have included a -W and -E but they result in
> similar errors, and besides I have no SU account as per cygwins limits...
>
> I also followed the NT server setup included for win XP in the
> /usr/share/doc/cygwin dir and get stoped at not being able to make a
> user.... as soon as single quotes (') are used it changes me to a new
> (>) prompt, a shell maybe?

The following command from the README to create a user works fine under
bash:

net user postgres $password /add /fullname:postgres /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)"

where "$password" is the password for the postgres user.

> need more ideas and sources to fugure this ouot
>
> End Goal:
> Use Postgres with a GIS package. http://grass.itc.ca
>
> any ideas?.... I have checked yahoo, old listserve docs and other
> cygwin/linux type resources.... figure it's time to ask for help....

Asking for help is fine, but please do so via the appropriate mailing
list.

Thanks,
Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6