Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions
Date: 2004-07-20 14:34:20
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > process the timestamp field in queries. Good idea. What happens if a
> > filename matches the above pattern but isn't a valid timestamp? Does
> > the function fail?
>
> Right now, BuildTupleFromCString will fail for invalid timestamps.
>
> I'm going to change that to pgsql's internal function (strptime seems a
> bad idea though).

Tom used abstimein() in xlog.c.

> > My only question is whether we need to allow a custom prefix for the
> > log filenames so they can be distinguished from other file names in a
> > user-supplied log directory, like /var/log, or would they always go into
> > a separate directory under there. I think a prefix would be nice.
>
> How should the prefix be named? pgsql_ ?

I would default to that, yes, but allow the user to set it via GUC
variable. You want to hard-code the time part of the file name so you
can load it into a timestamp, but we should give users control over a
prefix just in case they mix the files in a directory with log files
from other applications.

> > Of course this needs docs but I assume you are waiting to see it applied
> > first.
>
> Not necessarily, but I'd like names etc. fixed before.

Sure.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us