Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?

From: jseymour(at)linxnet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date: 2004-07-12 00:54:34
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> New FAQ added:
>
> <H4><A name="3.11">3.11</A>) What computer hardware should I use?</H4>
>
> <P>Because PC hardware is mostly compatible, people tend to believe that
> all PC hardware is of equal quality. It is not. ECC RAM, SCSI, and
> quality motherboards are more reliable and have better performance than
> less expensive hardware. PostgreSQL will run on almost any hardware,
> but if you are building a server where reliability and performance are
> concerns, it is wise to research your hardware options thoroughly. Our
> email lists can be used to discuss hardware options and tradeoffs.</P>
>
> Adjustments?

Looks good to me. Succinct and non-judgemental. Well done!

Oh, if you're accepting punctuation nits ;), in most cases, the comma
should come after "but," not before it. So your sentence should read
"PostgreSQL will run on almost any hardware but, if you are..."

If you wanted to mention other issues to consider, you might include:

> Jim Seymour wrote:

[snip]

> > Mention that hardware RAID systems must have battery-backed write
> > cache. (I actually had a RAID vendor, whose products no longer had
> > batter-backed write cache, tell me "Just use a UPS.")

Also desirable are a quality UPS, with monitoring on the server for
graceful shutdown of the server on battery exhaustion, and redundant
power supplies.

Jim