Re: Two Flyers

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two Flyers
Date: 2004-07-11 01:37:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Saturday 10 July 2004 14:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Our upcoming 6.5 release marks the development team's final
> > mastery of the source code we inherited from Berkeley.

> That phrase is even in our release notes:
> This release marks a major step in the development team's mastery of
> the source code we inherited from Berkeley.

Not the same phrase, and the second one, in the release notes, doesn't sound
arrogant at all. It's the 'final' portion that caught my eyebrow....

> and, yes, it was me who wrote that. Many felt it was embarrasing to
> admit we didn't have full understanding of all the PostgreSQL modules
> before 6.5, but it was the truth, so if you thought it was arrogant, I
> must have struck the right balance.

Some balance... But, yes, I was lurking the lists at the time and I remember
some of the comments. The mastery has certainly increased since then. But
'final mastery' is somewhat an asymptotic goal, no?

The release notes have the right balance, because they leave room for the
(realized) improvements since 6.5. I look forward to the next five years,
given the strides that have been made in the last five.

> The Sloney elephant looks like he has an attitude, though. :-)

Hmmm, just now noticed that. My preference is the 'slonik' one; the Slony one
looks as if one has angered him/her.

But the PostGIS one takes the prize. Talk about World Domination...
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology