Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?

From: jseymour(at)linxnet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date: 2004-07-06 12:32:15
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> pgman wrote:
> > Jim Seymour wrote:
[snip]

> > > My position is that your data is only as reliable as your hardware,
> > > period.
[snip]

> > There is a basic misconception that all PC hardware is created equal ---
> > that hard drives, mother boards, and RAM are all the same because they
> > are all PC-compatible. Compatible != Similar Quality.
[snip]

> Should I add an FAQ discussing hardware selection and the importance of
> reliable hardware?

Scary to think that people who don't know enough about running a proper
server, and thus have to be *told* this, are admin'ing databases.

Start with: Gotta have ECC, or at least parity-checking, RAM.

Mention the (some kinds of?) IDE drives issue.

Mention that hardware RAID systems must have battery-backed write
cache. (I actually had a RAID vendor, whose products no longer had
batter-backed write cache, tell me "Just use a UPS.")

Jim