Re: postgresql idle

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql idle
Date: 2004-04-30 02:45:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:31:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Actually, my patch is waiting for you to review it ;-) On the other
> > hand, since I'm already touching that code, maybe I can include it in my
> > patch. Or would you prefer to keep those things separate?
>
> Alvaro, can I ask what is left?

Several things. I think I wrote them along with my previous patch. The
visibility rules and the pg_clog protocol are what comes to mind
immediately. This is the difficult part.

> I know you have pg_subtrans, but what plans do you have to abort
> subtransactions and bring the system back to the state before the
> subtransaction started?

Some of those things are already in place. For example cursors are
closed/dropped, file deletions (DROP TABLE) no longer take place, file
creation is reverted, and the server is in a known state. Some things
are missing: how to deal with deferred triggers, prepared statements,
locks, on-commit actions.

"Vivir y dejar de vivir son soluciones imaginarias.
La existencia está en otra parte" (Andre Breton)