Re: postgresql idle

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql idle
Date: 2004-04-30 03:15:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> Several things. I think I wrote them along with my previous patch. The
> visibility rules and the pg_clog protocol are what comes to mind
> immediately. This is the difficult part.

Difficult part? I think those are easy --- they are narrow and already
solved-in-principle problems. What I do not understand is how you are
going to handle error recovery and undo in general. Every single
backend module that has any at-abort or at-commit cleanup is going to
need work to extend its data structures to handle subtransactions.
That seems like a major mess :-(