Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-28 08:13:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Dear Tim,

These are execellent proposals. My only remark would be to build a
step-by-step approach.

In a first stage, we could set-up a minimal web page for the Win32 port:
- PostgreSQL Win32 installer (possibly translated),
- translation of the web page in 40 languages,
- step-by-step installation under Win32 (screenshots),
- links (NLS project, documentation),

... advertise (example: http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/advocacy.php) and
start monitoring downloads.

With PostgreSQL Win32 version and looking at pgAdmin III statistics, reaching
one million downloads every month seems a reasonable target. PostgreSQL is
such a wonderful community project that there is no need to build complex
marketing strategies to reach impressive goals.

In a second stage, we can start building a rich web site (as you proposed) and
make it live on the long run.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel