Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,
Date: 2004-04-27 23:45:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:14:08PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> If we install plPGSQL by default, we should install any other pl
> language that was configured at runtime by default as well. This
> includes plPerl, plTCL, and plPython.
That certainly makes sense.

> Of course only if they were compiled in, but sense they are a part of
> the core distribution we shouldn't favor one over the other.
>
> Personally, plpgSQL is only useful to those who are coming from Oracle.
> People are more likely to be comfortable with plPython or plPerl than
> plpgSQL.

I'll beg to differ. :) I started using PostgreSQL well over a year
before Oracle. plpgSQL is SQL based; that's the key difference. I can't
back this up, but I'd bet that the majority of professional DBAs would
be far more comfortable in plpgSQL than in plPython or plPerl because
they deal with SQL day in and day out, while they probably only use
other languages for scripting (java being one possible exception).

Ultimately I think it's fine that PostgreSQL doesn't favor any of the
languages, but I think plpgSQL would be the only logical one to favor if
that was going to be the case. But then again, I'm a professional DBA; I
suspect someone who is more of a coder than a DBA might disagree.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant jim(at)nasby(dot)net