How to Welcome Windows Users (was Re: 7.5 features)

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: How to Welcome Windows Users (was Re: 7.5 features)
Date: 2004-04-27 14:12:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 14:27, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here are features that are being worked on, hopefully for 7.5:
>
> o tablespaces (Gavin)
> o nested transactions (Alvaro)
> o two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)
> o integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)
> o PITR (Riggs)
> o Win32 (Claudio, Magnus)
>
> If we get the majority of them, and I think we will, this will be a
> great release.

Sounds like the biggest release since 7.0 to me, and all good stuff. I do have
a nagging concern with the Windows support though. I'm guessing most people
running Windows servers will either be running php on top, or have windows
clients. AFAIK this means .NET or ODBC, and for older Access-based systems
upgrading definitely ODBC.

Dave Page has bravely stepped into the breach to maintain the ODBC driver, but
the niggles in it will generate a flood of support messages as Windows users
test it out. Basically, I'm asking what would need to be done technically for
the ODBC driver, and is there anything a non-hacker can do to help?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd