Re: FW: getting a crash during initdb

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, psql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: getting a crash during initdb
Date: 2004-04-26 18:28:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > > I'll check why the rmdir command is not working as expected.
> >
> > I just poked around and couldn't figure out the cause. Initdb should
> > either remove the directory if it created it, or remove everything
> _in_
> > the directory if the directory already existed. I tried the rmdir/del
> > /s /q commands in a CMD window and it worked fine.
>
> Problem is backslash issue :) initdb is issuing del /s /q
> "c:/postgres/data".
>
> Is there a library command to properly resolve slashes?

Uh, I just testd this using CMD and it worked:

rmdir /s /q "C:/TMP/TMP"

The quotes are required, but are in the code:

snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s /s /q \"%s\"",
rmtopdir ? "rmdir" : "del", path);

However, I have no problem with pulling his rmdir C code back out of CVS
and implementing it. I think it might come in as part of tablespaces
anyway so I was just waiting to see how things shook out. If we do it,
it would go into /port along with copdir/dp for directories.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us