Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,
Date: 2004-04-26 18:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
> transmitted:
>> Is anyone really ready for this sort of commitment?
>
> By that, I presume you mean...
>
> "Are people prepared to stop working on the doubtless useful things
> that they are working on in favor of spending their time instead on
> this set of marketing-oriented systems integration tasks?"
>
> I think the answer to that is likely a pretty clear NO.

That's sort of the question, isn't it? Bruce asked what can "we" learn
from MySQL. Well, I've put forth an argument, right or wrong, its my
opinion. If there is a concensus that the PostgreSQL team wants to
increase user numbers, it is obvious, as evidenced by MySQL, it isn't only
about features.

The "marketing-oriented systems integration tasks" are arguably *more*
important than minor improvements to attain this goal.

> PostgreSQL runs on numerous systems, and in order to do what you are
> proposing, it would be necessary to play system favorites.

> -> Configuration systems are inherently platform-specific.

Not all that much, java setup programs or a Samba SWAT like program could
go a LONG way to improving configurability without suffering platform
snobbery.

> -> PL/Java is well and interesting, but requires a barrel of non-free
> software, which makes installation and configuration anything but
> "slick."
>
> There is _not_ going to be a "Product Management" group any time soon
> that will turn around PostgreSQL into being a marketing-driven
> project.

No one is saying "Market-driven project," but you must admit, some market
savvy would be helpful if you want to get more users.

[snip]

You know, there were some questions put out to the group wondering how to
get more users. You may disagree with my assessment, that's fine, I don't
want to have any hard feelings, but I think your tone speaks volumes about
why PostgreSQL regularly gets ignored. While it is better than MySQL in
almost every metric, it has fewer users than it should. The question is
why. I took a bit of time and effort to explain why I think this is so,
outline a number of steps that may help.

If getting more users is something that "we" want to do. Then "we" need to
think about what it is "we" need to do. "We" need to understand that "we"
need to do things we may not feel like doing for success. I may be
completely wrong in every sentence I wrote, but lets discuss why I may be
wrong, lets discuss what is the right way to do it, or lastly, lets decide
that it isn't important to get more users, but don't just say "you can't."