Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: cmusielak(at)akio-software(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration
Date: 2004-04-01 12:01:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12, Christophe Musielak wrote:

> I'm a project manager working for a french e-crm company, that is
> dealing with packaged email managing solutions, both inbound and
> outbound.

Hello Cristophe

> First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump
> the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?
> or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade,
> restore datas?

I don't think you'd gain anything by doing the upgrade in two steps. The main
thing you'll notice is the introduction of schemas. Check for the use of
'now' as a default value too. Probably worth spending an hour or two
reviewing the release notes in the manual to look for changes.

> I would then appreciate if anyone can report a similar experience,
> problems faced and so on..

I tend to do a schema-only followed by a data-only restore. The main problems
I have are to do with dependencies between objects (function F relies on
table T existing). I use the -l/-L flags on pg_restore to let me manually
reorder the few items with problems.

Once the schema is transferred, I restore the data using the
--use-set-session-authorization and --disable-triggers flags.

Where possible, I try to script any changes I have to make - especially
worthwhile in your case I'd have thought.

HTH
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd