7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

From: Christophe Musielak <cmusielak(at)akio-software(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration
Date: 2004-04-01 11:12:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

First let me introduce myself as i'm posting for the first time.

I'm a project manager working for a french e-crm company, that is
dealing with packaged email managing solutions, both inbound and
outbound.

Our technical solutions relies on perl, c++, corba, apache and Postgres
7.2.3.

We were waiting for 7.4.2 to upgrade. As it is out now, i have some
questions to ask.

The point is that we must upgrade our clients database, with loads of
data in.

First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump
the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?

or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade,
restore datas?

I would then appreciate if anyone can report a similar experience,
problems faced and so on..

Thanks a lot by advance

Christophe Musielak