Re: Native Win32 port - PLEASE!

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>, Andrew Mayo <ajmayo(at)my-deja(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Native Win32 port - PLEASE!
Date: 2004-03-26 22:44:05
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com> wrote:
> > So can I quietly beg the Win32 group to expedite
> this port. I believe
> > you will be utterly astonished at the demand.
> Please.....
>
> I'm sure quietly begging certain developers with
> your pocekt book
> probably wouldn't hurt your cause either. :)
>
> Actually though from what I read here on this list
> native win32 support
> is almost ceranily going to be included in the next
> major release of
> postgres with will probably come out sometime in the
> next 6-9 month.

According to recent posts on the win32 hackers list,
current development code compiles and runs on Windows
now, albeit with a few magical incantations needed
along the way. There are still issues to resolve, but
work is proceeding rapidly.

Now, as to the timing of the next release, I don't
believe that anyone has made an estimate yet.

After lurking on the win32 hackers list for a while, I
am very impressed by the energy and capability of the
people who are doing the work. Anyone who wants to
test the development code, and report back on any new
issues encountered, would no doubt be doing the
developers a favour. Instructions for compiling on
Windows are on the project page on Bruce Momjian's
site. But I am feeling too lazy to look up the URL
right now ;-)