The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org
Date: 2004-03-11 23:14:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Folks,

As we discussed a couple weeks ago, Marc, Andrew, Tim Perdue, Chris Ryan and I
are testing implementing GForge in place of GBorg for associated projects for
PostgreSQL.

One thing which was suggested initially was that this new project hosting site
be at www.postgresql.net with projects being <projectname>.postgresql.net.

However, some of the "porting" team felt that it would be confusing for people
who typed in www.postgresql.net to be presented with the GForge interface,
and suggested that we use the domain after what we'll be calling the new
Tool, namely pgFoundry, thus putting stuff at www.pgFoundry.org and
<projectname>.pgfoundry.org.

So far, only 4 people, total, have expressed opinons on the matter. I'm
throwing this on Hackers so that members of projects we will be hosting can
indicate whether they:

A) Favor www.postgresql.net
B) Favor www.pgfoundry.org
C) Don't care as long as the porting is relatively painless.

Thanks for your time!

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions