Re: pgFoundry

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry
Date: 2004-03-11 19:14:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Peter,

> My perception is that this new service will be no better or worse than
> the previous one, and the confusion of the users and the fragmentation
> of the PostgreSQL project will continue on its path.

Gforge was discussed for over a week on Hackers. You didn't speak up then;
it's a bit late to speak up now. I didn't see any serious objections to
moving to GForge and did see a number of positive responses from project
leaders.

One of the inspirations for moving to GForge was specifically your and Dave
Cramer's comments about the difficulty of finding important PostgreSQL
accessories. Since you did not see fit to propose a solution to that
situation, we invented our own.

You can't simply run around objecting to everything, Peter, and expect people
to take you seriously. Constructive suggestions are far more likely to
produce results.

The only thing which was not discussed was the domain, which we regarded as
incidental to the installation, which I already mentioned, and I apologize
for not figuring out that people would have an opinion about it. Now that
it's been registered, though, nobody has proposed a compelling alternative,
so I don't see any reason to change things.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions