Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2
Date: 2004-03-10 20:04:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:22:24AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > User Defined Task Prioritization
> > (Ability to define rules on how the database should prioritize workloads
> either by query cost or user profiles. Ability to monitor resource usage and
> adjust the priority of queries or cancel runaway queries that exceed
> predefined limits.)
>
> This would be nice. We're not sure how to implement it; don't
> expect it soon for PostgreSQL.

Note that we do have a part of this, if "runaway queries" == "queries
which run too long". I suspect that what would really be needed,
however, is something running on the OS to detect timeslice or
memory hogs.

> > Parallel Backup / Restore (Ability to perform backup/restore of
> > large databases faster by leveraging
> all the processors in a multi-processor machine.)
>
> This is directly related to the above feature.

We can simulate it though, right? Use the binary file format for
pg_dump, and hand out pieces of recovery to different restorers
depending on your number of processors, one table at a time per
restorer. (Afilias -- Chris Browne, really -- wrote something along
these lines for the import of the .org database. I talked about it
a little at OSCON last year.) This is very far from the
user-friendly tool that IBM offers, of course.