Re: [DOCS] Request temporary freeze of libpgtcl chapter in manual

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, xgbe(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Request temporary freeze of libpgtcl chapter in manual
Date: 2004-03-04 15:59:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 21:30, L J Bayuk wrote:
> Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> > At 1:01 AM +0000 2/20/04, ljb wrote:
> > >I would like to request that no changes be made to the libpgtcl
> > >chapter in the PostgreSQL reference manual, at least for the near term,
> > >beyond file revision 1.40 in CVS. Otherwise, I can't promise any
> > > changes you make will end up in my version of the manual, in the event
> > > that the unbundling effort is successful. Is this OK?
> >
> > I'm not contributing, so it's not an issue for me.
> >
> > However isn't the whole point of CVS to make re-merging changes like this
> > easy?
>
> Yes, in normal cases CVS would handle this, but the goal is to unbundle
> the Pgtcl interface and its manual from the core PostgreSQL product. This
> means there will be no more Pgtcl chapter in the PostgreSQL manual - just
> like there is no longer a chapter on the Perl interface. I've made so many
> changes to my version of this material that it is unlikely either could
> be merged into the other.
>
> My new Pgtcl version and its manual have now been released at:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/
> There is an unpacked version of the manual for viewing on my own site:
> http://lbayuk.home.mindspring.com/pgtcldocs/
> but this is temporary, and I would like to find a more permanent place
> for it. There doesn't seem to be a way to put a docbook-generated
> manual on gborg.postgresql.org. I wonder if they would allow it on
> techdocs.postgresql.org.

I'd prefer to have the documentation live closer to the project than to have
it up on techdocs, though techdocs is probably better than someone personal
home page.

Chris, is there some way to accomplish this with gborg?

Josh, is this something that Gforge would give us?

Anyone know what the guys working on the perl interface have done?

Robert Treat