Re: Request temporary freeze of libpgtcl chapter in manual

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Request temporary freeze of libpgtcl chapter in manual
Date: 2004-03-04 02:30:53
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 1:01 AM +0000 2/20/04, ljb wrote:
> >I would like to request that no changes be made to the libpgtcl
> >chapter in the PostgreSQL reference manual, at least for the near term,
> >beyond file revision 1.40 in CVS. Otherwise, I can't promise any changes
> >you make will end up in my version of the manual, in the event that the
> >unbundling effort is successful. Is this OK?
>
> I'm not contributing, so it's not an issue for me.
>
> However isn't the whole point of CVS to make re-merging changes like this easy?

Yes, in normal cases CVS would handle this, but the goal is to unbundle
the Pgtcl interface and its manual from the core PostgreSQL product. This
means there will be no more Pgtcl chapter in the PostgreSQL manual - just
like there is no longer a chapter on the Perl interface. I've made so many
changes to my version of this material that it is unlikely either could
be merged into the other.

My new Pgtcl version and its manual have now been released at:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/
There is an unpacked version of the manual for viewing on my own site:
http://lbayuk.home.mindspring.com/pgtcldocs/
but this is temporary, and I would like to find a more permanent place
for it. There doesn't seem to be a way to put a docbook-generated
manual on gborg.postgresql.org. I wonder if they would allow it on
techdocs.postgresql.org.