Re: Slony-I makes progress

From: "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slony-I makes progress
Date: 2004-03-04 00:19:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:57:28PM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:
> After some substantial progress on the Slony-I engine development, I'd
> like to give a little status report and invite everyone who wants to
> participate in this project to join the mailing list and the development
> team.

Jan, thank you so much for your hard work on this project.

> Both, the provider change and the failover need a much more complex
> configuration than the current shell scripts can setup. The problem is
> that the configuration and administration tools are not designed yet. So
> here is a huge field for others to step up and take a key role in this
> project.

So what are you looking for here? When I last built slony, things
mostly worked, but a few niggling details were broken. I was going to
submit a few patches, but when I talked to you, it seemed like you
weren't quite ready for patches. Is the tree stable enough that I could
do some work on it and expect it to remain relatively consistent over a
few hours or even a day or two?

Also, to get this out of the way (as it presently plagues erserver), do
you have a particular language in mind? I'd like to avoid the dogmatic
jihad by not submitting a perl tool if the eventual goal is to be
end-to-end C (or java or tcl or whatever).

Alex

--
alex(at)posixnap(dot)net
Alex J. Avriette, Unix Systems Gladiator